Since I am a “fantasy” writer, I thought I’d follow up on my Fiction tips with some pointers that are specific to the most fantastic of genres. By fantasy I am referring to any form of fiction that is set in a world different than ours, including parallel universes, high fantasy, sword-and-sorcery fantasy, science fiction, surrealist fiction, and every other similar kind of writing.
Tips for Fantasy Writing:
Here are the 9 tips. Clicking on the links will send you to a more detailed analysis of each one.
- Show, don’t tell (especially not with prologues)
- Steal, borrow, tribute, and copy, but don’t plagiarize (yes, there is a difference)
- Write archetypes, not stereotypes
- Don’t invent a world; discover it
- Believe in the fantasy – become a child
- Get the details right
- Don’t read fantasy if you want to write it
- Focus on story, not plot
- Embrace the pure creation